Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year to have friends and family over to your Derby Park apartments in Grand Prairie. As you know, pets are welcome at Derby Park, and there are plenty of outdoor areas where pets can enjoy the beautiful Texas weather, especially during Thanksgiving time. But keeping your pet safe during Thanksgiving still needs to be a priority, which is why these three Thanksgiving safety tips for your pet will come in handy.
1. Instruct Guests Not to Feed Your Pet
Some foods that are perfectly safe for humans to eat are not suitable for your pet. These foods may make their stomaches upset or can cause other symptoms that make your pet feel unwell. Let guests know that your pet has plenty of regular pet food available to enjoy on Thanksgiving day, and that they should not feed your pet table scraps.
2. Isolate Shy Pets
If your pet is shy or fearful around people it doesn’t know well, there’s no reason to try to force them to interact with your Thanksgiving Day guests. Instead, set aside an area in your Grand Prairie apartments where your pet is isolated from all the crowds. You could close off your bedroom or a second bathroom, and make a comfortable sleeping area for your pet to enjoy until the festivities have died down a little. Be sure to place a food and water bowl in the area so your pet doesn’t have to wait to eat their Thanksgiving Day meal.
3. Put the Collar On
On Thanksgiving Day, your pet may be confused by all the strange guests walking into your apartment. Just in case your pet manages to escape, make sure they are wearing their collar and tags. If they do get out, whoever finds your pet will be able to contact you and return your pet.
Although you understand that Thanksgiving Day is about friends and family, your pet may be confused with all the extra activity. Keep them safe with these three pet-safety tips. Contact us today for more ideas about helping your pet enjoy life at Derby Park apartments.
Making homemade treats for your favorite furry friend in your Grand Prairie, TX home can be a fun project for all members of the family! Children and adults alike will enjoy working with these recipes to create delicious, nutritious, all natural treats for your dog.
Simple Homemade Doggie Treat Recipes
- Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Cups – Place a quart of plain, unsweetened yogurt into a blender. Warm a cup of natural peanut butter in your microwave or over the stovetop, then add the peanut butter to the blender. Blend on high until the mix is smooth, then pour into a cupcake pan lined with papers. Place them in the freezer until frozen solid, then dump out the cupcakes and store frozen in a Ziploc bag. Take them out as a cooling treat on a hot day.
- Doggie Trail Mix – Cut chunks of meat into 1/2″ cubes (lean red meat, chicken breast or fish all work well); cut similar sized chunks of potatoes, carrots, squashes, and/or other vegetables (avoid onions) and add bananas if your dog has a sweet tooth. Stir up your ingredients and place them in a dehydrator until they are fully dried. This mix is perfect for a walk and will store well if properly dried and sealed.
- Bacon Biscuits – Let your children do the mixing and rolling by hand with this one! Add 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of water, 1 tsp. salt and 10 tbsp. bacon grease to a mixing bowl. Stir well, then slowly stir in 5 cups of whole wheat flour. Roll the dough into balls and bake them on a greased cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
A Pet Friendly Community to Share With Your Family
Derby Park pet friendly apartments in Grand Prairie, TX are located in an excellent location to call home. Give us a call today to find out which floor plans are still available.
One of the great perks to finding an apartment in Grand Prairie, Texas is the proximity to so many fantastic resources for pet owners. There are dog parks that offer a great variety of activities. If you’re looking for an apartment in the area, Derby Park Apartments are pet friendly, with plenty of amenities for your dog and you to enjoy, as well. Residents of Derby Park enjoy outside features, such as tennis courts and swimming pools. There are a variety of floor plans available to fit any lifestyle and certain apartments offer a balcony or patio for outdoor entertainment.
4 Activities for Your Dog Near Grand Prairie
Residents at Derby Park can find a number of things to do close to home. Here are 4 activities perfect for pet owners over the summer months.
- Marshall Grain Pooch Pool Party. This fun-filled pool party in Grapevine is scheduled for July 16 and 17th of 2016. It’s a great opportunity to get your dog washed and socialize with other pet owners in the area. This event also raises funds to help pug rescues, so you’ll get a chance meet other pet owners and pets while helping a worthy cause.
- Mike Lewis Park. Leashed dogs are welcome at this great park, where you can walk the trails, bike ride or roller skate. This park has plenty of facilities for outdoor sports and there are dog-friendly water fountains available for your pet.
- Veterans Park. This fantastic park also features Central Bark, a fenced in dog park for off the leash play. Central Bark has different areas so that dogs can be separated by size.
- Cravens Park. Cravens Park in Arlington is a fantastic place for biking and walking trails which also welcomes your pets.
Are You Looking for an Apartment in Grand Prairie?
If you’re interested in an apartment at Derby Park, contact us today to see what floor plans are available to meet your needs.