Summer has arrived and you’re ready to get out of your air-conditioned Grand Prairie apartment and into the pool. Regardless of your age and whether or not you have kids, you’ll have a blast in the pool while playing these entertaining games:
Fun Pool Games
- Marco Polo. A swimming pool classic, Marco Polo involves a blindfolded “it” person, who attempts to tag everybody else. Auditory clues are available — whenever the “it” person shouts “Marco,” everybody else must respond with a chorus of “Polo.”
- Sharks and minnows. Another swimming pool classic, sharks and minnows begins with a single shark lurking on one side of the pool. The minnows jump in the side of the pool opposite of the shark and attempt to swim to the other side without being tagged. Any minnows that do get tagged become sharks and must help the original shark tag the remaining minnows.
- Alphabet swimming. Alphabet swimming is similar to sharks and minnows, but much quieter. The “it” person is blindfolded and asked to stand at one side of the pool. Those who are not “it” must choose a letter. The “it” person calls out the letters of the alphabet, and, as their letters are called, everyone else quietly tries to get to the other end of the pool without being tagged.
- Chicken fight. Always popular among teenagers, chicken fighting occurs when two “chickens” hop up on the shoulders of their friends and try to knock each other off.
- Mermaid race. A simple and entertaining way to combine pool fun with exercise, mermaid racing involves holding your breath and swimming as far and as fast as you can underwater in an effort to beat out your mermaid adversaries.
Ditch your Grand Prairie apartment for an afternoon and head over to one of Derby Park’s two swimming pools for a game of Marco Polo. Reach out today to learn more about our pools and other amenities.